This course is aimed at business owners or website owners who do not have a technical background, who are searching for an intensive long course focusing on WordPress websites.
Applicants who …
- are based in Ireland
- are business/company owners
- have less then ten employees
- have been trading for at least six months …
can apply for 90% funding from their Local Enterprise Office via the Trading Online Voucher Scheme.
What is Covered in the Course?
- Creating Pages
- Adding a Theme
- Recommended Themes
- Creating a Menu, Adding Pages to a Menu, Dropdown Menus
- Posting (for blogging) including Categories
- Uploading Images
- HTML and CSS
- Embedding (e.g. YouTube Videos)
- Basic SEO to help your site rank better
- Guest Speaker: SEO on WordPress
- Recommended plugins (e.g. for your SEO, Security, Social Media, to install Google Analytics)
- Users (controlling who has access to your website)
- Basic Security Plugins
- Sourcing free, and cheap stock images
- Image Editing
- Contact Forms
- Guest Speaker: How to Make Your WordPress website faster
- E-commerce (with the free WooCommerce plugin); including;
- adding products manually
- selling different types of products, including downloadable files
- customising email templates
- payment integration
- bulk-upload of products
How the course works:
- This is an online, live course
- On purchase of the course, you’ll be sent a link and some instructions as well as a pre-course survey. The survey gives you a chance to describe how you are and what you do, so the course can be tailored for the participants.
- This will be a ‘live’ course, you will be connected to the facilitator, Dorcas Réamonn via video chat, where you will be able to see and hear her. (If you are visually or hearing impaired, please send an enquiry directly to dorcas via email@example.com).
- The course will take place from 9.30am until 1pm (GMT times) on Wednesdays, beginning on 27th May (27th May, 3rd June, 10th June, 17th June, 24th June, 1st July, 8th July, 15th July, 22nd July, 29th July, 5th August, 12th August and 19th August).
- There will be a support-session for questions on Saturdays between the times of 11am and 12.30pm (30th May, 6th June, 13th June, 20th June, 27th June, 4th July, 11th July, 18th July, 25th July, 1st August, 8th August, 15th August, 22nd August)
- After completion of the course, you are invited to join the closed Facebook support group for future support.
- As you will be making your own website, you need to have your own domain and your own hosting (and, ideally SSL certificate) in advance. After you register for the course, we’ll check in with you to ensure you know what to buy, and that you have WordPress installed so you are ready to go on the first day of the course. If are a TOVS applicant, then we can give you a quote for domains, hosting and SSL certificate (all registered in your own name) along with the course. The charge for one domain name, one hosting account and one open-source certificate for one year would be €99. Please firstname.lastname@example.org email for information. You can also arrange this separately (we love Blacknight and Letshost), and avail of the TOVS for the same.
- On the 18th of September, there will be a follow-up session, to give you a chance to ask extra questions that may have arisen about your, by then, hopefully ‘live’ website.
Who will facilitate the course?
Dorcas (Dorcas Réamonn) is an educator who works with UCD Innovation Academy and the Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School of UCD. She has been also teaching private courses and in various organisations (including Local Enterprise Offices) since 2011. She is passionate about education and gets great feedback from students. While not educating, she works for her own business, Zonua. Zonua makes websites, mainly WordPress websites these days. Dorcas is an international WordPress speaker and has vast experience with WordPress. She works professionally with WordPress and will share all her knowledge with you! You can also see some of Dorcas’ previous videos on the YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/zonua.
The course will be co-faciliated by Arnaud (Arnaud Putaux), who has extensive experience with WordPress.
What you need
- Ideally, a laptop, desktop or tablet (with a bigger screen)
- Internet Connection
- Zoom: You can download Zoom for free for desktop, Android or iPhone/iPads. A bigger desktop/laptop screen works best. You do not need to register or pay for an account, we will send you the invite link on sign-up.
- Pen and Paper. If, like me, you like to write notes, then you might want to have a pen and paper beside you. That said, you will have lifetime access to all notes and everything covered here on Go Learn Digital.
- Earphones can be useful.
- Patience. This will be the first time for many participants on an online course. Some people may need some time to figure out how to ask questions, whether by typing or audio. Some people will be called upon by children or will ask questions that you already know the answer to.
- Extra time to do your own work. You’ll get the best out of the course if you work on your own website between classes. You’ll be given pointers of homework to do each week.